Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Doer, The Receiver and The Friends

A reply to >> http://daemononline.blogspot.com/2008/09/of-infidelity-forgiveness-and-love.html



Being the perennial neutron that i am, i would have to agree on some things and disagree on others my good friend daemon said.

I agree that respect should be given. Even the doer of the dastardly act deserves the respect for having to muster enough courage to plea for forgiveness and re-acceptance. The receiver in return deserves the respect for his most generous act of forgiveness. Whatever they have decided, everyone should accept, no matter how the decision defies reason.

I disagree, on the other hand, on trusting the decision OUTRIGHT. Respect is one thing, trust is another. The former can be given without condition. The latter is where our personal biases come into play. One can not put trust into something just like that. Trust is earned after all. The decision must then earn the trust of everyone. Eventually, we’ll see what becomes of the decision, then and only then can we believe in it, or not.

I agree that forgiveness is a rare commodity nowadays. But believe me, to forgive is the easier part and everyone deserves it. And believe me also when I say that being the non-forgiver is worse than the person unforgiven. A grudge is heavy because it is the heart that carries it.

I disagree, on the other hand, on giving second chances to everyone OUTRIGHT. Forgiveness and second chances are not a package deal. While forgiveness is a rare commodity, second chances are the most expensive of them all. And not everyone should be able to afford it. However, anyone can be given charity. It is not about the doer deserving it. It is about the receiver being generous enough in giving it. And he has been.

On friends. I MAY not agree that they should just stand by on the way-side. Sometimes, the receiver may not have the strength to fight for himself, too crushed by the circumstances surrounding him that he could only whimper. Friends are there as your shield and your sword, always in front of you and ready to strike. Friends almost always react more passionately about any terrible thing that happened to the one directly involved. That validates how much they love you. And that’s why we love them.

To the receiver, you are most generous in forgiveness and second chances. That is admirable.

To the friends, you are passionate in protecting your own. I would be lucky to have you lot as my friends as well.

To the doer, learn. You are lucky to have that kind love your partner gives you. You have heard before what I had to say, live by it. Do not disappoint. You are my best friend, and I love you, but should you repeat, I will be the first to slap you on your face.

No comments: